Wednesday, May 30, 2007

And onto Chiang Mai

Tuesday 29th May 2007: Day off in Bangkok & Train to Chiang Mai

After the hectic finishing off of projects the previous day, today was a relaxing day, because in the evening we were catching a 15hour train ride to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. After packing and checking out of the hotel me and some friends made our way again to the MBK Mega Mall. We spent most of the afternoon here looking around all of th every cheap shops. I actually made a couple of purchases of a belt and a new pair of shorts.

In the evening we had to meet back at the Suk 11 hostel for the transfer to the train station. We arrived at the train station in plenty of time to catch the train at 10PM. The first thing that hit when we boarded the train was how hot it was especially since we were all carrying our heavy bags onto the train and we were all soon dripping in sweat.. As there was no air conditioning on the train it did not start to get cool until the train started to move out of the station.

That night I did not get much sleep because every time the strain stopped, or changed speeds or went around a corner my eyes opened. I think I finally managed to get some sleep at around 4AM and even then it was not very good sleep.

Wednesday 30th May 2007: Arrival in Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand


When I awoke light had already filled the college and the morning had already begun. I was very tired because of the lack of sleep I had, had the previous night but I couldn't sleep on the train because the ride was very bumpy. However, it was only 5hours until we arrived in Chiang Mai. During this time, I had the chance to finish my book, Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights and also read a substantial portion of my second Bill Bryson book, 'Down Under'. I had already finished reading my first Bill Bryson book, 'Notes from a Big County' earlier in the Field Studies Trip (well I have to be loyal to my University's Chancellor).

We finally arrived into Chiang Mai, pretty much on time at about 1PM. I quite enjoyed the trip, but it was no where near as long as the train ride I went on with Eleanor in Vietnam which was over 35hours long. We then took a short transfer to the hostel, who had laid on a delicious lunch which was very quickly dispensed on. The rest of the day was allocated, R&R (Rest & Relaxation).

Coming Up on Field Studies

The next stage of the Field Studies, is a period of Orientation around the Chiang Mai area, to give us inspiration for our Chiang Mai projects.

Thursday: Wiang Kum Kham & Ping River with a walking tour around Chiang Mai in the afternoon.
Friday: Hmong Thai Village or Lampang Community Forest with Night Safari Village in the evening.
Saturday: Environmental Workshop
Sunday: Work on Project Proposals

The website of where we are staying in Chiang Mai: http://www.sri-patguesthouse.com/

Check back at
http://thomasinthailand.blogspot.com, www.dur.ac.uk/t.c.jackson or on Facebook for updates.

No comments: